Spring is such an exciting and beautiful season, and here in Urbandale we’re experiencing an absolutely gorgeous month of May!
At this time of year, many of us are on a fitness kick getting ready for swimsuits and warmer weather sports. In fact, just the other week, Dr. McDonald completed his second marathon in Lincoln, Nebraska. Setting fitness goals and making our healthy “to-do” lists including drinking more water, eating clean foods, and completing daily exercise routines are common priorities for many. But how many of us are remembering to include our daily flossing goals? Yes – that’s right, flossing more often might be something you need to consider adding to your daily health regimen.
Flossing is one of the easiest and quickest ways to remove bad bacteria from your body. Without flossing on a regular basis, harmful plaque and bacteria continuously build up in between areas of your teeth where your toothbrush cannot reach. And, if plaque is allowed to accumulate, not only can it cause tooth decay and loss, but bad bacteria can enter your bloodstream causing other negative health side effects.
Here are some tips for achieving your flossing fitness goals:
- Use about 18 inches of floss, wrapping each middle finger
- Grasp the floss firmly between your thumb and forefinger
- Firmly hold the strand between each tooth, gently rubbing the side surfaces
- Make a “C” shape when the floss reaches the gum line
- Use a fresh part of the strand as you make your way around each tooth
Enjoy the healthy, refreshing feeling of a fit & flossed smile!